education in the field of spa medicine is not commonly available throughout
medical schools. As a result, the journal club was established to introduce
medical students to the extensive literatures in this field of medicine.
The journal club will meet monthly and attempts will be made to contact
the primary investigator of the clinical studies to appear as guest, although
we are aware of limitations due to differences in time zone. Students
are encouraged to review articles on methodology posted on this website
along with recommended reading.
Dr. Khai Vu
the Spa Medicine Journal Club
READING FOR STUDENTS
Spa Medicine Database
Clinic Journal of Medicine http://www.ccjm.org/
Mayo Clinic Proceedings
Annals of Internal Medicine http://www.annals.org/
1. Biostatistics: Some Basic Concepts by Marcus Hermansen, M.D.
2. How to read a paper: the basics of evidence based medicine by Trisha
3. Interpreting the medical literature: practical epidemiology for clinicians
by Stephen H. Gehlbach, M.D., M.P.H.
4. Understanding clinical papers by David Bowers, Allan House, David Owens
5. Intuitive biostatistics by Harvey Motulsky, M.D.
6. Evidence-based medicine: how to practice and teach EBM by David Sackett,
Sharon Strauss, W. Scott Richardson, William Rosenberg, R. Brian Haynes
7. Randomized controlled trials by Alejandro Jadad
1. Introduction to Analysis of Variance: design, analysis and interpretation
by J. Rick Turner, Julian F. Thayer
2. Medical statistics: a commonsense approach by Michael J. Campbell,
3. Design Clinical Research by Stephen B. Hulley, Steven R. Cummings,
Warren S. Brownder, Deborah Grady, Norman Hearst, Thomas B. Newman
4. Multivariable analysis: a practical guide for clinicians by Mitchell
H. Katz, M. D.
5. How to report statistics in medicine: annotated guidelines for authors,
editors and reviewers by Thomas A. Lang, Michelle Secic
6. Meta-analysis, decision analysis, and cost-effectiveness analysis:
methods for quantitative synthesis in medicine by Diana B. Petitti